Diploma in Translation (English <> Spanish) Qualifications Level 7
January & September
3 Academic Terms
Language of instruction:
English <> Spanish
Tue. 7:30pm – 8:30pm Fri. 7:30pm – 8:30pm & Sat. 10:00am – 12:00pm
The programme in DipTrans is suited to fluent bilinguals with a Mastery profiency at CEFR level C2 with a theoretical, methodological background as they reformulates and uses practical, conceptual or technological knowledge and understanding of a subject or field of work to create ways forward in contexts where there are many interacting factors.
Students acquire the high level skills necessary to the complexity level of linguistic skill demanded in line with the Ofqual RQF level descriptors as professional translators. Students will be underpinned by an understanding of translation theories and debates. The languages offered in this qualification are Spanish <> English.
The DipTrans qualifies you not just for the highest level translation work but also to become a valued participant in a community of like-minded professionals widely respected for their skill, expertise and experience.
The DipTrans is an accredited, internationally recognised qualification which can improve career prospects for working translators.
Following successful completion of the qualification, students will be entitled to use the designation ‘DipTrans’ and may be eligible to apply for membership of the Chartered Institute of Linguists and the Caribbean School of Languages.
Prove specific expertise
This qualification is recognised by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual), Qualifications Wales (QW) and the Council for Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment (CCEA) at the Certified Translator level.
CSL Course Progression
- Intel i5 or equivalent processor.
- Minimum 8 GB of RAM.
- For computers using Windows (minimum system requirement: Windows 10)
- For computers using Mac (minimum system requirement: OSX 10)
- For iPad tablets (iOS) (minimum system requirement: iOS 9)
- For Android tablets (minimum system requirement: Android 5)
- The use of headphones with working speakers and a microphone is advised.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader. Download the Acrobat Reader.
The qualification is made up of three units:
|Units||Mandatory core or option||Content|
|Unit 01: General Translation||Mandatory core||This unit focuses on written translation of a demanding but non-specialised text of about 600 words. The candidates will translate the text into their target language to a professional standard of accuracy.|
Unit 02 Semi-specialised options:
|Option (choose one)||This unit focuses on written translation of a semi-specialised text of 450 words set within the following subject areas: Business, Literature or Science. Based on the choice, candidates will then translate texts into their target language to a professional standard of accuracy.|
|Unit 03 Semi-specialised options:|
• D (Science)
• E (Social Science)
• F (Law)
• G (Arts and Culture)
|Option (choose one)||This unit focuses on written translation of a semi-specialised text of 450 words set within the following subject areas: Science, Social Science, Law or Arts and Culture. Based on the choice, candidates will have two hours to translate a text into their target language to a professional standard of accuracy.|
- There are 12 weeks per Term.
- The student will be able to use their translation skills to produce a translation with clear evidence of complete comprehension and accuracy as well as being grammatically sound and well organised.
- While the full DipTrans qualification is the final goal, the semi-specialised units in the mandatory options provide an opportunity to demonstrate applied translation within specific contexts, as listed above. Each unit is both challenging and rewarding, carries its own unit certificate, and is a step towards gaining the full DipTrans qualification.
- Successful completion of CSL’s Certificate in Translation (English <> Spanish) Qualifications Level 6 not more than one year old.
Note: There is no placement test for admission to this programme. If you do not have the level required to be admitted to this programme at this moment, the CSL offers the following programmes to bring you up to speed.
This is a self-funded programme meaning the programme is not GATE funded. Listed prices are valid for applications received between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2022.
We offer various payment plans to ensure that students are able to budget well throughout their studies. After the initial deposit, the remaining balance will be due within 8 to 12 weeks of the programme start date.
|(NON-REFUNDABLE) – PER PERSON|
|Application Fee: TT$ 400 – US$ 70|
|Late Registration Fee: TT$ 200 – US$ 35|
|Administrative Fee: TT$ 60 – US$ 14|
|CIOL Exam Fees: TBA (per test unit)|
|CSL Centre Exam Fees: TBA|
|Amenities Fee: TT$ 800 – US$ 135 (per Term)|
- Tuition fees do not include the external examinations, academic materials, stationery supplies, printing, fees for supplementary exams and repeats, other living costs, etc.