Certificate in Spanish for the Legal Field
This certificate is intended in particular for professionals in the fields of law, such as lawyers, judges, paralegals, legal secretaries, etc., working in any position requiring them to communicate with Spanish-speakers orally or in writing.
LIVE PRACTICAL SESSIONS:
Language of instruction:
18+ years old
FT: 8-10 weeks per level
A1 beginner to C1 Superior
The Spanish for the Legal Field courses cover everything the legal professional needs in the discharge of their duties, including practitioner to client communication, interaction among professionals, research and much more in the foreign language as well as cultural awareness and many other aspects of specialised communication. These courses are designed to acquaint students with the rudiments of the Spanish language and with Spanish legal vocabulary sufficient to permit legal professionals to communicate effectively with Spanish-speaking clients.
Scheduled live sessions provide human interaction with a specialist. Although attendance is not mandatory to live sessions, the participant is strongly advised to participate in order to practise and improve their Spanish.
Participants do not require any prior knowledge of Spanish to start. All the skills and knowledge will be acquired from the basic level through the intermediate and up to the advanced level at international standards.
These courses are offered to professionals working in the fields of law, such as lawyers, judges, paralegals, legal assistants, legal secretaries, patent attorneys, conflict of interest managers, compliance specialist mediators, court reporters, law students, etc, who want to expand their professional opportunities or improve the delivery of their services by learning Spanish for the legal field.
January 9th • January 30th • April 11th • May 1st • July 10th • July 31st • October 9th
- Intel i5 or equivalent processor. | Minimum 8 GB of RAM.
- For computers using Windows (minimum system requirement: Windows 10)
- For computers using Mac (minimum system requirement: OSX 10)
- For iPad tablets (iOS) (minimum system requirement: iOS 9)
- For Android tablets (minimum system requirement: Android 5)
- The use of headphones with working speakers and a microphone is advised.
The series of phases are a validation of competences in Spanish for the Legal Field at levels: A2, B1, B2 & C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
Each lesson is made up of a study unit and assignment. The learner is required to go through the study unit and answer all the questions in the assignment. Assignments are then mailed back to CSL where experienced tutors correct and return them with comments.
|Beginner||Phase (I)||8 weeks|
|Beginner||Phase (II)||8 weeks|
|Intermediate||Phase (I)||8 weeks|
|Intermediate||Phase (II)||8 weeks|
|Upper Intermediate||Phase (I)||10 weeks|
|Upper Intermediate||Phase (II)||10 weeks|
|Advanced||Phase (I)||10 weeks|
|Advanced||Phase (II)||10 weeks|
- The Spanish for the Legal Field Beginner Phase (I) lays the foundation for specific communication in the legal sector. No prior knowledge of Spanish is required. Participants are able to communicate with Spanish-speaking clients and give advice based on the various cases, using specialised vocabulary and structures in the present and past tenses.
- The Spanish for the Legal Field Beginner Phase (II) broadens the scope of communication to include exchanges in past, present and future tenses, conditionals, subjunctive, etc. Participants are able to interact with Spanish-speaking clients and explain and describe their cases and options, among other things.
- The Spanish for the Legal Field Intermediate Phase (I) fosters independent research and effective communication using specialised vocabulary and structures. Participants begin to master nuances in grammar, expressions and vocabulary, and increase their level of fluency.
- The Spanish for the Legal Field Intermediate Phase (II) increases the capacity of the participants to conduct independent research and free effective communication using specialised vocabulary and structures. Participants continue to improve mastery of nuances in grammar, expressions and vocabulary, and increase their level of fluency.
- The Spanish for the Legal Field Upper Internediate Phase (I) exposes participants to higher levels of grammar and specialised vocabulary. Participants can understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in their field of specialisation.
- The Spanish for the Legal Field Upper Internediate Phase (II) exposes participants to higher levels of grammar and specialised vocabulary. Participants can understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in their field of specialisation and interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity.
- The Spanish for the Legal Field Advanced Phase (I) exposes participants to higher levels of grammar and specialised vocabulary. Participants engage in more complex activities, such as formal writing, research reporting and speeches.
- The Spanish for the Legal Field Advanced Phase (II) exposes participants to higher levels of grammar and specialised vocabulary, case studies and more. Participants engage in more complex activities, such as formal writing, research reporting and speeches.
Understanding and processing information:
The candidate is able to understand the essential elements of simple, common professional reports, texts and documents in the law/legal field.
The candidate is able to understand the essential elements of a message that is predictable–in form and content– face to face or over the telephone, within the scope of his/her professional experience.
The candidate is able to gather elements from several support documents and organize them in a given format; write common types of messages related to familiar social and professional activities.
The candidate is able to take part in exchanges about familiar topics in his/her professional context, describe what he/she is doing, exchange factual information, discuss an option and provide explanations in practical situations concerning known topics.
Some of the evaluation components include projects, assignments and oral presentations, which test the four language skills: Speaking, Listening, Reading and Writing.
It is estimated that the participant will conduct 3 – 5 hours of independent study per week.
On successful completion of each level (Beginner, Intermediate, Upper Intermediate and Advanced), participants will receive a Certificate of Completion awarded by the CSL. On partial completion of a level (Phase I) participants obtain a Transcript. In order to get a Pass, students must obtain at least 60% of the overall grade.
Certificates of Completion and Transcripts are prerequisites for the next higher level or phase and will be considered as such for a period of one (1) year. After a year has elapsed, students may have to take a placement test to move forward.
- A recent digital photo of the applicant (white or light background and no shadows).
- Copy of the applicant’s national ID card or passport
- Complete PDF application form and email to email@example.com
Local Student TT (NON-REFUNDABLE)
- Registration Fee: TT$250
- Late Registration Fee: TT$200
- Student Service Fee: TT$180
- Course Materials: TBA (per level/phase)
International Student (NON-REFUNDABLE)
- Registration Fee: US$44
- Late Registration Fee: US$35
- Student Service Fee: US$50
- Course Materials: TBA (per level/phase)
Listed prices are valid for applications received between January 1, 2023 and December 31, 2023.
|Beg. Phase I||TT3,250||US485|
|Beg. Phase II||TT3,250||US485|
|Inter. Phase I||TT3,520||US590|
|Inter. Phase II||TT3,520||US590|
|Upper Int. Phase I||TT3,950||US670|
|Upper Int. Phase II||TT3,950||US670|
|Adv. Phase I||TBA||TBA|
|Adv. Phase II||TBA||TBA|
Tuition fees do not include academic materials, the external examinations, supplies, fees for supplementary exams and repeats, etc.
Note: The School will not be responsible for transfer of money in wrong account. Please double check the details before sending.
Frequently Asked Questions
All our courses are 100% online. We have students from all over the world.
There is no placement test for admission to this programme.